St Alfege - PAYE
portfolio_page-template-default,single,single-portfolio_page,postid-1228,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,qode_grid_1400,footer_responsive_adv,qode-content-sidebar-responsive,qode-child-theme-ver-1.0.0,qode-theme-ver-17.2,qode-theme-bridge,qode_header_in_grid,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-5.6,vc_responsive

St Alfege

Client: Richard Griffiths Architects
Principal Contractor: PAYE Stonework & Restoration Limited

The Church of St Alfege, Greenwich is a Grade I listed building from the early 18th Century. It was designed by eminent architect Nicholas Hawksmoor and is perhaps one of the most iconic churches in London. Hawksmoor studied under Sir Christopher Wren, and St Alfege’s became one of the churches built under the Fifty Churches act of 1711.


St Alfeges is one of just six Nicholas Hawksmoor churches in London and was built between 1712 and 1714 with funding from the Parliamentary act of 1711, generally referred to as The New Churches Act. The Churches Act set out to commission fifty new churches in the city and the surrounding boroughs. It fell significantly short of its proposed target with only 12 being fully funded and a further 5 partially funded. Hawksmoor was responsible for 8 of these, 6 in full and 2 more in collaboration.


Our scope of works included conservation repairs to the Portland stone facades on the North and South elevations of the Transept. Replacement of the defective roof coverings to the both Transepts using code 7, Sand Cast lead and associated carpentry repairs to the main roof structure.


We adapted entry routes into the Church to make the building more accessible to the public. To achieve this, the church boundary was re-landscaped to provide a more presentable and user-friendly main entrance into the North church yard.


Adaptations were made to the historic iron railings to the perimeter of the Church, the lanterns and the overthrow to the North Churchyard entrance. Headstones throughout the North and South church yards were carefully conserved and relocated to suit the new access layout.


Internal conservation works to the Church Gallery comprised of repair and redecoration of the lime plaster finishes to the gallery walls. Additionally, new bespoke disabled toilet facilities were installed and both primary and emergency lighting to access routes within the Nave, Tower entrance and North Transept.


Furthermore, improvements and additions have been made to the Church’s existing Mechanical and Electrical components which includes a fire alarm, CCTV security cameras, a kitchenette to the West lobby and a Public Address system to the Crypt.